Feeding America is the nation’s leading domestic hunger-relief charity. Their mission is to fight hunger in America through a nationwide network of member food banks and to engage the country in the fight to end hunger.
To that end, @feedingamerica has posted a quiz to see how much we know about hunger in this country. OurFoodNews took the test and scored 10 our of 10. It’s our business to know these things.
Even so, the degree to which these facts are true/not true surprised us. Hunger in this country is bigger than even we thought. Click on the photo below to see what we mean.
And be sure to consider these important statistics from FeedingAmerica, too:
• Food insecure adults between the ages of 18 and 65 and seniors over age 65 may receive fewer nutrients, which may hinder their ability to live a full and active life.
• Food insecurity is associated with lower scores on physical and mental health exams.
• Food insecure adults have an increased risk of developing diabetes.
• Food insecurity is associated with a range of chronic illnesses such as hypertension, hyperlipidemia, and various cardiovascular risk factors
• Food insecure adults may experience higher levels of aggression and anxiety.
• Food insecurity has also been correlated with slower developing social skills.